In this short article we will look at how you can install VMware Tools on MX Linux. VMware Tools is a set of modules and services created to ensure there is an enhanced performance and seamless user interactions with your guest operating system running in VMware Virtualization platform. We will install Open-VM-Tools (open-vm-tools) which is the open source implementation of VMware Tools for Linux guest operating systems.
By installing VMware Tools on MX Linux you’ll enjoy the following features:
- Copying and pasting text and files between guests and hosts or client desktops.
- Ability to perform virtual machine power operations gracefully.
- Authentication for guest operations.
- Execution of VMware provided or user configured scripts in guests during various power operations.
- The ability to run programs, commands and file system operation in guests to enhance guest automation.
- Periodic collection of network, disk, and memory usage information from the guest.
- Generation of heartbeat from guests to hosts so VMware’s HA solution can determine guests’ availability.
- Clock synchronization between guests and hosts or client desktops.
- Quiescing guest file systems to allow hosts to capture file-system-consistent guest snapshots.
- Execution of pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts while quiescing guest file systems.
- The ability to customize guest operating systems immediately after powering on virtual machines.
- Enabling shared folders between host and guest file systems on VMware Workstation and VMware Fusion.
- among many others
Update APT cache index:
sudo apt update
Then install VMware Tools on MX Linux by running the following command in the terminal.
sudo apt install open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop
Reboot the system after installation of VMware Tools on MX Linux:
You can then enjoy all the benefits provided by VMware Tools.